samza-dev mailing list archives

From Tommy Becker <tobec...@tivo.com>
Subject Re: Issues with certain characters in config values
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 12:22:28 GMT
Ok, the issue with spaces appears to have been addressed by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SAMZA-530.
 But quotes are still a problem, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Util.envVarEscape()
method is unnecessary.

On 06/08/2015 03:02 PM, Tommy Becker wrote:
We have a stream job that uses an MVEL expression to filter messages to process.  The expression
is passed through the Config, and I noticed that the expressions were often getting mangled
and/or blowing up the job.  I've seen issues with at least 2 characters, quotes and spaces.
 In version 0.8.0 on YARN, the config gets passed through an environment variable.  Prior
to this, the JSON gets run through Util.envVarEscape() which backslash escapes single and
double quotes.  I'm trying to figure out why this is necessary, because the backslashes never
seem to get removed and then the JSON fails to parse since \' is not a valid JSON escape sequence.
 I also can't seem to get values with spaces in them to pass though at all (they get truncated
at the first space).  I haven't figured out what's going on there, but wondered if it could
be a bug in the YARN client.  I filed the following bug for this, can anyone shed any light?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SAMZA-700

--
Tommy Becker
Senior Software Engineer

Digitalsmiths
A TiVo Company

www.digitalsmiths.com<http://www.digitalsmiths.com><http://www.digitalsmiths.com><http://www.digitalsmiths.com>
tobecker@tivo.com<mailto:tobecker@tivo.com><mailto:tobecker@tivo.com><mailto:tobecker@tivo.com>

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments) by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender immediately and permanently delete this email and any attachments. No employee
or agent of TiVo Inc. is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of TiVo Inc.
by email. Binding agreements with TiVo Inc. may only be made by a signed written agreement.