samza-dev mailing list archives

From Zach Cox <zcox...@gmail.com>
Subject Problems running new jobs in hello-samza
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:27:28 GMT
Hi - I'm just getting started with Samza. I got the hello-samza example
working properly in the vagrant box. Then I wrote 2 new tasks, rebuilt
everything and submitted them to yarn using run-job.sh. These 2 new jobs
show up in the yarn web ui, however only one of them has State=RUNNING, the
other just sits forever at State=ACCEPTED.

The Cluster Metrics section shows some interesting things:
 - Apps Pending = 1
 - Apps Running = 4
 - Containers Running = 8
 - Memory Used = 8 GB
 - Memory Total = 8 GB
 - Memory Reserved = 0 B

Again I'm really new to samza & yarn, but does this mean that the node on
this vagrant box has 8 GB memory available but all 8 GB is being used, so
it can't run the 5th samza job?

Are there 8 containers running because each Samza job has an
ApplicationMaster and a SamzaContainer? Are each of those containers using
1 GB memory, and that's why all the available memory is used up? Do these
containers really need 1 GB memory each? Can this be adjusted somehow?

Just trying to better understand what's going on here, and see if there's a
simple way to get both of my new tasks running in hello-samza.

Thanks,
Zach