samza-dev mailing list archives

From Garry Turkington <g.turking...@improvedigital.com>
Subject RE: Hello Samza and Maven
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 00:35:04 GMT
Hi,

Fair enough,. As I said, really not trying to launch a build tool war here so I'm OK with
this.

Garry

-----Original Message-----
From: Yan Fang [mailto:yanfang724@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 October 2014 15:51
To: dev@samza.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hello Samza and Maven

I think we should keep Maven as well. Because in an ideal world, users do some modification
in hello-samza and get their job run (at least, it's an easy way to get start). Since we will
publish Samza to Maven repository, they do not need to compile the main codebase. Again, my
assumption is the same as Chris' -- Maven is more popular.

But I am ok with adding Gradle build script in addition, if that makes the explanation easier.
Just not sure if that will cause some conflicts or maintaining headache.

Cheers,

Fang, Yan
yanfang724@gmail.com
+1 (206) 849-4108

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Chris Riccomini < criccomini@linkedin.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Hey Garry,
>
> My personal opinion is that we should keep hello-samza as Maven for now.
> The goal with hello-samza is to make Samza as approachable as
> possible, and since I think Maven is still a more popular build system
> than Gradle at the moment (no supporting data on this, though), I
> think it's more user-friendly to keep it this way.
>
> What are other people's thoughts? I could live with it in Gradle, I
> just think it's easier for a broader audience to get started with Maven.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> On 10/28/14 2:54 AM, "Garry Turkington"
> <g.turkington@improvedigital.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >Any interest in changing Hello Samza to use Gradle instead of Maven
> >like the main codebase does, or at least add Gradle build scripts in addition?
> >I find it a bit jarring - especially when explaining to others -
> >having HS using Maven but having everything else - including some
> >internal Gradle scripts to help assemble job packages etc all in Gradle.
> >
> >Happy to pick this up but I also don't want to start a build tool
> >flame war. :)
> >
> >Garry

-----
No virus found in this message.