samza-dev mailing list archives

From Alex The Rocker <alex.m3...@gmail.com>
Subject Using Samza to build a CEP (Complex Events Processing) system?
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2013 19:05:42 GMT
Hello,

I just began to read about Samza, and I very excited about it (I was warned
of its existence by Jay Kreps' post in Kafka users list, BTW).

My first reaction is: are you guys using it at LinkedIn for applications
which lies in the CEP (Complex Event Processing) system domain?

To be more specific, would stateful Samza tasks be used in order to compute
complex states such as "event E1 is followed by E2 then by E3 with less
than 10 minutes interval between each event" ?

I was looking at Storm for CEP, but as pointed out in Samza Storm page,
Storm leaves state management to the bolts code, whereas Samza has
"something".

Beyond state management, what else would make Samza a good building block
for a CEP?  Or a bad one?

Thanks,
Alex.