royale-users mailing list archives

From Mandeep Sarma <muveryd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Royale name
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2017 04:33:41 GMT
I know it's too late and I'm really not trying to be a pest, but as a
marketing guy I wanted to add in this discussion topic (
http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Name-of-the-FlexJS-Fork-td64199i60.html#a64289)
Justin M. Hill makes the most sense. Even people who no longer use Flex
would probably know what FlexJS could be about (like me) but Apache Royale?
I had a quick look at the subscribers of the Apache Flex User mailing list
even they seem confused, imagine the rest of us.
Google Trends indicates to me Royale 1. is not a widely used term, 2. the
searched term does not seem to have a significant relation with computing
(except for a game).

Mandeep

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Mandeep Sarma <muverydeep@gmail.com> wrote:

> my opinion is not important, 1 person does not make a focus group. I
> learned of the name change today because someone approached the company I
> work for to discuss a Flex app conversion. But a search with Google Trends
> may give more insight.
>
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Carlos Rovira <
> carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mandeep,
>>
>> this topic was largely discussed in dev list. This name was the original
>> codename for Flex when it was created around 2001 in Macromedia. Then
>> Macromedia changed it to the final name Flex when it was released. We think
>> that this name has a great sounding and good meaning in terms of something
>> "magnificent", "marvelous" or "great", and and  like it was explained in
>> the change name thread.
>>
>> we are in royale dev list proping a new web site for Apache Royale here:
>> http://royale.codeoscopic.com
>>
>> Hope you like it
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Carlos

>>> is there are meaning or significance in the Apache Royale name. from a
>>> marketing perspective it seems like a strange name. Royale is a French word
>>> often used in English to give an highfalutin allure often ironically,
>>> and a popular joke in the Pulp Fiction movie. Apache Royal does not seem to
>>> invoke any link to any topic involving technology.
>>>
>>> Can you imagine if Apple had name it's smart phone Apple Royale ? Nokia
>>> might still have been the #1 mobile phone maker today.
>>>
>>> I'm *NOT criticizing* I'm just curious as to the significance of the
>>> name.
>>>
>>> Mandeep
>>> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/highfalutin>
>>>

>>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>