royale-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [royale-asjs] branch develop updated: Fixes #258. But is that a proper fix?
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2018 20:32:06 GMT
Yes. But it cascades down.

I manually made this change to the TreeExample project, and it fixed the bug.

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 7:22 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> I'm still not understanding.  Style.position is not inheriting so how would it cascade
down?  Isn't .Application only applied to the <body/>?

> Thanks,
> -Alex
>
> On 6/4/18, 9:15 AM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    I’m suggesting that we change defaults.css
>
>    from:
>    Application
>    {
>    	padding: 0px;
>    	margin: 0px;
>    }
>
>    to:
>    Application
>    {
>    	padding: 0px;
>    	margin: 0px;
>    	position: relative;
>    }
>
>    I believe this will resolve this issue as the default would cascade down to all sub-elements.
The default would be relative, but beads would be free to change that to whatever they want.

>    Of course, that would dictate that UIBase belongs in Basic and not Core… ;-)
>
>    Harbs
>
>> On Jun 4, 2018, at 7:10 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> I’m not sure exactly what change you are proposing, but UIBase used to set position=relative
on all positioners.  We took that away so that the "flex" and other display/layout styles
would not have to deal with the excess clutter and overhead of having set position on so many
elements in the DOM.  Via PAYG, only the elements that need to have a style.position should
have it set.

>> My 2 cents,
>> -Alex
>>
>> On 6/4/18, 8:44 AM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>   It just occurred to me that the problem is due to the default position being static.
>>
>>   I just added position: relative; to the .Application css and that resolved the
issue as well.

>>   I wonder if we could completely do away with the offsetParent logic in UIBase if
we make the default position: relative. That would have a major positive impact on performance.

>>   Thoughts?
>>   Harbs
>>
>>> On Jun 4, 2018, at 6:36 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Yishay,
>>>
>>> IMO, the new fix is better.  And you took the right approach by examining the
code flow in the debugger.  When layout fails for what appears to be a timing issue (in this
case, offsetParent not set), we definitely want to take the time to carefully analyze why
there is a timing issue instead of apply code to work around the current lifecycle.

>>> I'm not sure we can recommend a general pattern for layouts.  I think there is
some PAYG involved.  It could be that in some cases the View should be responsible for setting
style.position.  Then the layouts don't have to spend the time verifying style.position.
In other cases the layouts could be used in places where other potential layouts don't rely
on style.position being a particular value.  I think BasicLayout for Containers is an example.

>>> The code you used could be put into a utility function for layouts to use to
guarantee that x,y will work as expected.