royale-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Explanation of the changes
Date Wed, 16 May 2018 19:51:48 GMT
I guess it depends.

As long as the styling is set by class selectors, it will work because class selectors trump
type selectors.

I think it would at least be better than what we have now.

> On May 16, 2018, at 10:42 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Would that work?  I think any TLC with an HTMLButtonElement as its element (or sub-element)
will still be affected by any Button type selector in some CSS file.  Or maybe I don't fully
understand what you are proposing.

> -Alex
>
> On 5/16/18, 9:41 AM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    Sure. I wonder if we should handle different namespaces differently.
>
>    Maybe the following two namespaces should get proper type selectors, while any others
would get class selectors?

>    https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F1999%2Fxhtml&data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9b1582ba79124743cf6f08d5bb4be38b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636620856972038920&sdata=l94LsFAHe4i1NHoCalhlCKlF5L8yvpbrlh5qgmVhyGE%3D&reserved=0
>    library://ns.apache.org/royale/html <library://ns.apache.org/royale/html>
>
>    Harbs
>
>> On May 15, 2018, at 6:52 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> The goal of typenames is to do the best job we can of emulating Type Selectors.
I understand it isn't perfect, but the browser does have Type Selectors and we can't really
stop people from expecting Type Selectors to work, and wishing it would work on the rest of
Royale.

>> On 5/15/18, 8:37 AM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>   Makes sense, but there’s two problems with that:
>>
>>   1. That makes the assumption that components of a specific name implement the HTML
component of the same name.
>>   2. Classes take precedence over element selectors, so that styling is too easily
overridden.

>>> On May 15, 2018, at 6:11 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>>
>>> Certain typenames match up against HTMLElement names and are thus valid Type
selectors so are not transformed into Class Selectors.

>>> -Alex
>>>
>>> On 5/15/18, 2:09 AM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Interesting. It looks to me like a bug.
>>>
>>>  The theme CSS compiles into this:
>>>  Button {
>>>          border: 1px solid #808080;
>>>          padding: 4px;
>>>          background-color: #f8f8f8;
>>>          margin: 0px;
>>>          border-radius: 2px;
>>>  }
>>>  Button:hover {
>>>          border: 1px solid #808080;
>>>          padding: 4px;
>>>          background-color: #e8e8e8;
>>>  }
>>>  Button:active {
>>>          border: 1px solid #808080;
>>>          padding: 4px;
>>>          background-color: #d8d8d8;
>>>  }
>>>
>>>  Instead of this:
>>>
>>>  .Button {
>>>          border: 1px solid #808080;
>>>          padding: 4px;
>>>          background-color: #f8f8f8;
>>>          margin: 0px;
>>>          border-radius: 2px;
>>>  }
>>>  .Button:hover {
>>>          border: 1px solid #808080;
>>>          padding: 4px;
>>>          background-color: #e8e8e8;
>>>  }
>>>  .Button:active {
>>>          border: 1px solid #808080;
>>>          padding: 4px;
>>>          background-color: #d8d8d8;
>>>  }
>>>
>>>  Button is an element name (case insensitive) instead of a class name…
>>>
>>>  Harbs

in addition to all the MDL classes. Interestingly, the mdl class names overrode the Button
one. I’m really not sure why because the Button css should have been loaded later than MDL.
I’d appreciate your thoughts if you have any on that.