royale-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Ent <p...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: About Peter's Royale Foundation
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:20:48 GMT
Thanks for this analysis, Carlos! I'll address just a couple of things:

First, can you not see the code because of some issue with Github (did I
forget to make it public) or is it just because you are too busy?

Secondly - view beads. I love the idea of separating them and I found it
frustrating that a component might have a SWF view bead but not a JS view
bead. And I originally wrote down in my notes that I would want everything
to have view beads. But as I started to compose this, and overrode
createElement() and made an input, then a button, then a span, it just
seemed like making a view bead for the sake of making it. Plus there are
issues of when to really know the right time to construct the parts. I
don't think view beads are unnecessary; I think the concept needs tighter
integration into the life cycle. Perhaps the strand loads the view bead
and instead of relying on events, does viewBead.createElement() and calls
on IBeadView API instead.

Panel was something traditional from Flex. I think it might just
old-fashioned now, but I also wanted to show how you could achieve the
look of a Panel without having to proxy the content area. And as for
left-items and right-items, I borrowed that concept from mobile apps that
have navigation bars.

Date controls - I think a polyfill is a good way to go. Just didn't look
into writing one yet.

SVG: I wrote the SVG components mainly as a way to lay the groundwork for
charts. But maybe the real way to do that is simply with the charts
producing the bars and wedges and what-not and draw them using SVG
specified in CSS. So many different possibilities!

Again, thanks for taking the time to look at this.

‹peter