royale-dev mailing list archives

From Dany Dhondt <archeme...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] "Life after FlashPlayer" post @flex lists (Was: Royale Frameworks and More)
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2018 10:50:14 GMT
Hi all,

A few thoughts:

In our organization, I built a big backoffice web application in Flex about 2 years ago. Now,
we are obliged to make it future proof, which means, no Flash dependency at all.
We chose react.js. So the last couple of months, I studied react, npm, node, webpack, babel,
…
It’s clear that the most popular technologies for creating web applications nowadays are
cli driven packages like react, angular, (vue)
I really think royale should be in this list!
The whole thing is about getting people up and running in no time. And getting started quickly
is all about configuration.
An example: for react, a npm package create-react-app is available which is as simple as:

create-react-app my-app
cd my-app
yarn start (or npm start)

These commands setup a whole file structure, configures webpack and babel, runs a local dev
server and start up a boilerplate app. Ready to go!

couldn’t we make a create-royale-app package?

This boilerplate could contain a ready-to-go set of components:
Navigationheader on top, then a left pane and content pane, which are responsive and a set
of basic components like drop down, button, list, …

All this packed with a clean but robust set of css styling.

I spent the last couple of days searching for a component library for react. A few examples:
material-ui, React bootstrap, Ant design, Blueprint, …
So far I didn’t find any package which meet my 2 most important criteria:

- Complete set of components
- Well written component api documentation

I think that a lot of (former) flex developers chose a similar path like me but are more than
willing to give royale a go.

It is important to know that the majority of these developers (like myself) have quite a lot
of ‘development skills and experience’ but have far less knowledge of what’s going on
under the hood.
We can’t expect them to go through days of configuration frustrations before getting started
with what is their core business.

So, as much as I agree with the ‘Life after FlashPlayer’ questionnaire, I would like to
see it posted with a big button at the end saying ‘TRY ROYALE NOW'

-Dany