royale-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Rovira <carlosrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Browserstack Open Source License for Apache Royale project
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2018 09:46:00 GMT
Hi Piotr,

I was updating the page to thanks to, adding PrintUI, then read your mail.
So go to add Prominic, NextGen (I assume you named Patreon but is not part
of what you want to add).

Then I realized that both Prominic and NextGen are making great things for
this project and community, but when I want to put the "draft line" about
what we want to say to thank them I have a problem, since they are not
donating a service, a OS license, a time/person to this project...

So Moonshine or NextGen are very related to Royale but not part of royale.
Are OS projects in their own and in part related to us.

I think, and saw this some weeks ago (but still couldn't do it), to add a
page or section of IDEs with logos that supports Royale (IntelliJ,
VSCode+NextGenAS, Moonshine,..), the same way you did in
transpiledactionscript.org. I must do it soon for the website since is
important to Royale list those IDEs and community have that info clearly
posted in a relevant part of our website.
But regarding "Thank you" page, from them the only one that is donating,
IMHO, is IntelliJ with its OS license, (although even IntelliJ doesn't
support royale officials and Moonshine and NexGenAS are doing).

For me seems to me more clear to put IDEs in their own page/section than in
a thank you page that as I interpret from the Apache guidelines "is a way
for PMCs to thank companies for services or things that they are doing for
us".

Regarding what Justin says I think Apache is about individuals, but I'm
confident that this page is to thanks companies and/or individuals that
PMCs want to thank for services or other things they do for us. The first
line states:

"PMCs may wish to provide recognition for third parties that provide
software or services to the project's committers to further the goals of
the project"

So "third parties that provide software or services" are companies in most
of the cases.

In the other hand to thank individuals, we already have the team page,
where we list PMCs and committers that are working and/or helping the
project in one way or another.
Here we can find all of us, plus people that was more involved in the past
(like Josh, Frederic or Erik), but are not currently involved or not
conjuncturaly

> Hi Justin,
>
> Where are you suggesting to write ? What mailing list ? I think that would
> be an approach, because we have to make sure that it is not violation of
> some core rules of Apache.
>
> Thanks,
> Piotr

> > Hi,
> >
> > If you look at the guidelines it suggests that you only give thanks to
> > people who provide tools / infrastructure. IMO if you want to start
> listing
> > contributors companies then you would need to list the all of them and I
> > would also suggest you run this past fundraising. I’m not 100% sure but
> > mentioning companies in that context may not be in line with Apache's
> 501c
> > status. The ASF is about individuals not companies.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Justin
>

> --
>
> Piotr Zarzycki