royale-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Browserstack Open Source License for Apache Royale project
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2018 18:14:41 GMT
Hi -

I note that on the Browserstack Open Source page [1] there are a list of logos. We are not
agreeing to allow any Apache or Royale logo to appear anywhere in their site. If they wish
to do so then we will need to point them to the appropriate Foundation committee - likely
starting with trademarks, but it would depend. I’m only bringing this up to remind the team
of the limits.

Thanks Justin for the pointer to the rules. At the Foundation level you are correct that the
rule is nofollow for lower levels of sponsorship.

I concur with Harbs on next steps.

Regards,
Dave

[1] https://www.browserstack.com/open-source

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 1:40 AM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the link to the guidelines.
>
> Note that rel=“nofollow” is not actually a requirement. The only requirement is to
have a consistent policy.

> I would probably create a thank you page on the Royale website and link to that page
in the readme. (i.e. Thank you to our sponsors or similar with a link to the full page.)

> Harbs
>
>> On Mar 27, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I contacted Browserstack to use the open source plan and it's ok to do so.
>>> They only ask for us to put on our Github Readme page:
>>>
>>> * an hyperlink to their site with his logo [1]
>>> * and a line about how we use BrowserStack to help our project
>>>
>>> It's ok to do so? Can I add it to our readme and finish the process to get
>>> the OS license?
>>
>> I don't think it would be permissible to put it in the readme but it can be placed
on a thank you page [1] on the Apache Royale site. Note the rel=“nofollow” requirement
and the other (minor) conditions.