royale-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject SVG for Flash (was Re: How to get assets (svg, png,...) inside *-js.swc and *-swf.swc libraries)
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2018 06:10:22 GMT
IMO, this deserves its own thread.

I think there are several choices. I've not ever really analyzed and
compared SVG to SWF, but one possibility is to write an SVG Interpreter in
ActionScript that translates SVG into flash.display.Graphic calls.  Of
course, that sounds like a really big project, which it probably is, but
with PAYG and DAYG (do as you go) it seems like it might be the true final
answer because then ActionScript that you write to manipulate the SVG at
runtime can work.  More on this later.

I think the only choice that currently works is to embed the SVG in a SWF
with the Flex compiler.  I don't see support for SVG transcoding in the
Royale compiler, but I could have missed it.

Another option is to try to transform SVG back to FXG.  I think Om wrote a
transform from FXG to SVG.

Then there are options that transform SVG to PNG or other non-vector image
formats.

It would be easier on the runtime to have the compiler do the
transformation, but I'm tempted to have the ActionScript code do it
because then the asset that is deployed and loaded is the same SVG.  You
don't have to copy an SVG file for JS and an FXG or SWF or some other file
for Flash.

I mentioned in another thread that for SWF, we first want to get the
bounding boxes right, then worry about the pixels.  That's because, until
customers really demand it, it may not matter how good the SWF output is
as long as it can be used to test your business logic.  You may never
deploy the SWF version, but it should save you time in catching errors in
your code but I know I would want the UI to layout close enough to the JS
version that I don't have to go and tweak a lot of the UI after I'm done
testing on Flash/AIR.

So, with PAYG/DAYG, the initial implementation of an SVG interpreter would
just draw a filled rectangle of the size specified in the SVG.  Then over
time as needed we would add beads for each SVG tag.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it.  Definitely want to hear from Om and
anyone else who has spent more time around this topic.

HTH,
-Alex