royale-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Royale 0.9.0 Released
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:16:56 GMT

On 1/29/18, 10:43 AM, "Andrew Wetmore" <cottage14@gmail.com> wrote:

>I as a reader would want to see a summary of what is in the release, where
>and how to get it, and what to do with it once I have it. The same
>information would go into the appropriate pages in the help docs. I can do
>a rough cut based on what I see in the README files, unless somebody with
>more knowledge wants to do the first draft.

Go for it.  I don't have time for that today.

>On that front, here is a naive reader's question: I see lots of
>instructions in the README about compiling Royale, as if that were
>something I would always have to do. Then, almost as a throw-away, I see
>notes about the already-compiled binaries. Does EVERYBODY download and
>build Royale for themselves? I would have thought your average app-builder
>would start with the compiled binaries and just want to know how to
>reference them from the IDE of choice.

Apache is very source-code oriented since it is about Open Source.  In
fact, to Apache, the binaries are not official releases, just convenience
artifacts.  So websites, readme's and lots of other things are supposed to
be about working from the source code.

We could put a different README in the binary artifacts.  I just don't
know how many people will read it instead of the "Get Started" we put on
the docs page soon.

HTH,
-Alex