royale-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Royale 0.9.0 RC1
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2018 05:30:26 GMT
Hi Justin,

We have it now and are doing the correct thing in a natural way. An Apache Member who was
on my first PMC has explained the situation well. He calls it “cups and saucers” when
we discovered a single GPL file had been in a few releases we removed it. It is best effort
and sometimes things spill.

Shine the light forward.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 16, 2018, at 9:16 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Royale is not going to operate like Flex.  We want to be more responsive
>> to our users.  So instead of conducting detailed searches for IP issues at
>> release time, they should be done at commit time or at other times.
>
> The issue has been brought up before so is a known issue. (See that discussion thread).
Given that discussion I would of assumed that committers wouldn't check in plain text CC-BY-SA
licensed content. But I guess people forget about it, I had even forgotten about that thread.
If you where watching the commits it would be very easy to miss the file(s) in question as
they also incorrectly had an ASF headers on them. But any PMC member or committer could of
noticed this, the fact that no one did until now probably indicates how difficult it was to
find. Perhaps it would be better to deal with licensing issues when they are raised or soon
after - especially when a 3rd party doesn’t respond in a timely way?