royale-dev mailing list archives

From Yishay Weiss <yishayj...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Java Default Encoding and Royale Compiler
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 07:11:53 GMT
>So, for any of our users, we could add yet another compiler option to set
>the encoding different from the system encoding in the case that someone
>really wants them to be different, or we can just leave things as they are
>in the code and maybe document how to use JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS.

The advantage of a compiler option is that we’re not affecting the user’s preferences
for other java tasks. [1] suggests that we can just change our scripts to run java with -Dfile.encoding=…

>It did not look
>trivial to find all of the file reading/writing places and change the
>classes they use to pick up a config option.
I don’t get it. If the encoding is cached when the JVM starts up [1] why do we need to change
classes?

>We could require that everyone on Windows working on Royale code use a
>UTF-8 editor.  I know I personally often just open up Notepad when fixing
>Ant and Maven builds on Windows, but I guess I could switch.

As a windows user I wouldn’t mind that.

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/361975/setting-the-default-java-character-encoding