royale-dev mailing list archives

From Erik de Bruin <e...@ixsoftware.nl>
Subject Re: [royale-asjs] branch develop updated: Add ‘glue’ utility script to allow WASM to be loaded in HTML
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:14:36 GMT
Carlos,

I'm seeing lot of attention this days for WebAssembly due to Safari and
> Edge supporting it.
> The expectations are high on that front and I'm reading that WASM could be
> almost ready for Spring in 2018.
> So I think this is a must for us in addition to HTML/JS/CSS effort. I'm
> trying to see the picture and even seems that both
> HTML/JS/CSS and WASM could be used at the same time right?, so in that
> case, we should think how this could be handled in Royale.

To help me grok the challenge of AS -> WebAssembly, I have stripped down
the transpiler to the bare minimum. This means that any tooling or
framework integration is basically excluded. The first priority must be to
get 'vanilla' AS to produce valid WAST code. At best that'll be months of
work, but seeing as I still have to learn WASM in depth, I'm sure there are
going to be some bumps in the road ;-)

I think that once there is a fair level of fidelity in the transpilation,
we can start to think about building/integrating UI frameworks with this
transpiler. I have some ideas that got snowed under when we started work on
asjs I'd like to try out. Think GCC compatible ES6 Material Design, with a
glue libraries for communication between WASM and JavaScript code.
Something like that.

Thanks,

EdB

--