royale-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] project vs. product name vs artifact names
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 17:25:05 GMT
I changed the subject so sorry if this appears like a new thread.

Let's be a bit more explicit and see if that helps.  After getting the
packaging to start to work, I've changed my thoughts a bit.  I actually
think I agree with Carlos and Erik.

I am proposing that we post two different -bin.zip/tar.gz bundles on the
Apache mirrors, which is our main distribution channel.  We will only post
one source artifact because the build script can generate both bundles
based on environment variables.  We will also post dozens of Jars and SWCs
to Maven Central.  And I think we will have an NPM distribution as well.
For the purposes of this discussion, wherever you see .zip, also assume we
are providing a .tar.gz file as well.

Because we will only have one source artifact, we will call for a vote on
a product named: "Apache Royale x.y.z".  The source artifact will be
called:

  apache-royale-x.y.z-src.zip

We will provide convenience binaries for IDE users.  They will be called:

  apache-royale-flexjs-x.y.z-bin.zip (has SWCs for SWF and requires
prerequisites)

And:

  apache-royale-js-x.y.z-bin.zip (can be unzipped and used as-is)

If we create other targets in the future, hopefully we will still only
have one source artifact and, for a webasm target the binary artifact
would be called.

  apache-royale-webasm-x.y.z-bin.zip

I believe this conforms to Apache conventions about artifact names.  We
could call the "flexjs" artifact:

  apache-royale-swf-x.y.z-bin.zip

But I am mindful of Justin Hill's desire to keep FlexJS in the name
somewhere.

Meanwhile, everything that goes up on Maven will be under the group id:

  org.apache.royale.compiler (for compiler jars)
  org.apache.royale.typedefs (for typedefs SWCs)
  org.apache.royale.framework (for framework SWCs)

Note that in Apache FlexJS 0.8.0, we used the group ids:

  org.apache.flex.flexjs.compiler
  org.apache.flex.flexjs.typedefs
  org.apache.flex.flexjs.framework

So there is a project.productname pattern today, but I am proposing that
we don't need a separate product name because the IDE products primarily
differ by which SWCs go in the binary artifacts (there might be a
different default config.xml file too), and Maven users pick their
"product" by choosing which archetype they start with and/or what SWCs
they depend on.

Maven artifact names also include a classifier for the target platform.
For example, in the last release, Apache FlexJS posted to Maven Central:

  Basic-0.8.0-js.swc
  Basic-0.8.0-swf.swc

I am proposing we keep that classifier pattern as we can probably use a
classifier for WebASM some day as in:

  Basic-0.8.0-webasm.swc

Last is NPM.  I don't know NPM that well, so this could certainly be
wrong.  But I think today, you can install Apache FlexJS 0.8.0 by doing:

  npm install flexjs -g

If we are going to use NPM to install the equivalent of the proposed
apache-royale-flexjs-x.y.z-bin.zip then I think that should be called
royale-flexjs in NPM as well so you would type:

  npm install royale-flexjs -g

And if you can use NPM to get the equivalent of
apache-royale-js-x.y.z-bin.zip that would be done via:

  npm install royale-js -g

But I don't know how many folks will need to do that if you can just unzip
apache-royale-js-x.y.z-bin.zip and use it.  Not sure if we need to make
something available just by typing:

  npm install royale -g

Thoughts?

-Alex