royale-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Struggling with resource files
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2017 23:28:00 GMT

On 10/1/17, 7:31 AM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>I’d really like for the compiler to include resources as strings, but I’m
>not sure what the best way to declare it is.
>
>How can we declare a reference to the resource and have the compiler
>include it?

Well, that depends...

The [ResourceBundle] metadata and the compiler's -locale option seemed to
make people happy.  I don't remember any complaints about it, my only
issue was that it didn't seem to be efficient for String-only resources.
[ResourceBundle] allows the strings to be managed in separate .properties
files that are packaged with a SWC.  That's probably important because you
probably don't want to have to list out every component's resources as
beads in your app.  It probably needs to be driven automatically by
metadata.

So, if we decide to stick with it, the challenge will be to teach the
compiler to do something different with the resource properties.

Thoughts?
-Alex