roller-user mailing list archives

From Tamas Balazs <tbal...@coppercoast.sa.gov.au>
Subject Category browser - subcategory view of entries
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2014 01:48:17 GMT
The issue I am currently facing is rather simple – and perhaps the solution is also at hand
should I be a bit more proactive and start looking around the documentations in greater depth.
Anyhow my question is related to category browsing….

If I have sub-category and I try to call entries from its super-category the system does not
list those entries that are in the sub-category.

For example if I have a category “Chat” and sub-category of “Celeb gossips” if I select
the “Chat” category browser to see entries only those will be listed that belong to “Chat”.
Those belonging to “Celeb gossips” will not get listed unless the user specifically selects
the “Celeb gossips” from the Velocity-generated Category tree.

I believe this is a bit awkward situation as majority of users would like to see what are
under Chat category in general and then focusing on their browsing experience with the sub-category
further (well, I do it like that anyway). What I currently have is that if someone clicks
on category browser then he/she gets nothing despite of high number of subcategory postings
– which will give the assumption that the site is empty.

I simply used the example to show the category browser from the Template guide:

        #set($rootCategory = $model.weblog.getWeblogCategory("nil"))
        #showWeblogCategoryLinksList($rootCategory true true)

Anyway, if anyone knows any workaround to this issue please let me know.

Also if I select the lowest level of category it changes to “categoryObject.name” in the
Simple template (5.04) – but that is my least worry actually.

Currently I can overcome this issue by re-creating posts in super-category and canonicalize
the article to the original one (Not fun!).

As always, helps and comments are warmly welcomed!

Thanks

Tamas

Tamas Balazs

[cid:imagebd7dd2.JPG@e6326cba.48a88892]

WARNING
The information contained in this message and any attached files is confidential and is intended
for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised
to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this information
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. District Council of the Copper Coast is not responsible
for any claim whatsoever arising from a third party utilising or relying on confidential information.
District Council of the Copper Coast is neither liable for the proper nor complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt. We do
not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects, although due care
has been taken to minimise risk.