roller-user mailing list archives

From Tamas Balazs <tbal...@coppercoast.sa.gov.au>
Subject RE: 5.1 initial experiences
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:15:23 GMT

Tamas Balazs

WARNING
The information contained in this message and any attached files is confidential and is intended
for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised
to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance of the contents of this information
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. District Council of the Copper Coast is not responsible
for any claim whatsoever arising from a third party utilising or relying on confidential information.
District Council of the Copper Coast is neither liable for the proper nor complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt. We do
not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects, although due care
has been taken to minimise risk.

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Mazza [mailto:glen.mazza@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 29 August 2014 12:34 PM
To: user@roller.apache.org
Subject: Re: 5.1 initial experiences

On 08/28/2014 10:30 PM, Tamas Balazs wrote:
>> -After swapping a pre-added template it did not got reflected on the
>> blog – I had to restart tomcat to see the changes.
>>
> I'm not sure what "swapping" means in this context.  I think there's an auto-refresh
option for templates configurable in roller-custom.properties.  I've never had a need to use
or test it though.

> |||AUTO-REFRESH OPTION IN DEFAULT MODE - WHATEVER IS THAT|||

I don't what you mean by "changed" or "swapped", did you manually go to the expanded WAR in
Tomcat and change the files there?  That indeed wouldn't be picked up unless you restarted
Tomcat.  But if you edited your pages within the template edit page of the UI they should
have gone into effect immediately.

According to roller.properties, this is the property to use:

# Allow theme reloading during development # 1. You must be logged in.
# 2. Delete the style-sheet (Design | Style Sheet tab) from the weblog/theme you're changing.
# 3. To reload macros under path /WEB-INF/velocity, first modify the macro file and then trigger
#    the reload by changing a template on the theme currently working
on, then refresh the page.
themes.reload.mode=false

But this may not have been used or tested in years, I have no idea if it still works.

%%% I haven't touched the neither the expanded nor the packaged WAR as such - all I did is
logged in to the admin panel and changed the template and the change did not get reflected
until I restarted Tomcat%%%
%%%I will keep this roller.properties sample for reference - I will keep you posted re the
outcome of next attempt to migrate in due course%%%

>> -One of my blog suddenly started to lose its URL structure thus
>> giving me 404. Something like example.com/test/entry/blabla has
>> become example.com/test/test/entry/blabla. This was not fun at all,
>> so I rolled everything back to 5.04.
>>
> Perhaps you did not make "test" your default blog in 5.1, which would
> have removed the need for one of those "test"s in the URL. That said,
> such a setting should have stayed with the database migration.  5.04
> will work (at least until the next security advisory of one of its
> dependencies) but is architecturally a dead end.

> |||ADVISORY?|||

5.0.1 -> 5.0.4 were all security patches.  The Roller Blog announces the security fix when
it is released.

%%%I see - thanks. Tamas%%%

Glen