roller-user mailing list archives

From Edd Grant <...@mredd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Roller 5.0.3 (fresh install) with Tomcat 7 and JNDI Datasource
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:04:35 GMT
Hi guys,

osagie - addingjava:comp/env to the datasource jndi name in
roller-custom.properties fixed the issue, thanks for pointing that out.

Glen, thanks for the pointer to the latest trunk doc, I thought it might be
worth noting that this document doesn't mention putting java:comp/env in
the Datasource JNDI name in roller-custom.properties. I wonder if it might
be worth updating it to reflect this if it stops people running in to the
same issue as I have done here?

Thanks for both your replies, I'm now off to play with Roller 5 for the
first time! :-)

Edd

On 20 February 2014 03:09, Glen Mazza <glen.mazza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Edd, I would look in Chapter 6 of the *latest* (trunk, not 5.0.3)
> Roller install guide http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/docs/  It
> has a sample roller-custom.properties and context.xml file you might be
> able to leverage.
>
> Regards,
> Glen
>

> On 02/19/2014 07:17 PM, osagie uwaifo wrote:
>
>> Hey Edd,
>>

>>     1.   Change  database.jndi.name value to java:comp/env/jdbc/rollerdb
>>

>>    The persistence.xml file is in roller-weblogger-business-5.0.3.jar
>>

>> Let me know if that helps.
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Edd Grant <edd@eddgrant.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm performing a fresh install of Roller 5.0.3 on Tomcat 7. I want to
>>> use a
>>> container managed JNDI Datasource but am struggling to get this working.
>>>
>>> Upon first deployment everything looks fine, Roller correctly detects
>>> that
>>> the MySQL Database is empty and creates the tables (I have verified this
>>> by
>>> logging in to MySQL and checking that the tables exist afterwards).
>>> However
>>> when I click the "complete installation" button I get the following error
>>> in the logs:
>>>
>>> FATAL 2014-02-19 17:14:17,474 JPAPropertiesManagerImpl:initialize -
>>> Failed
>>> to initialize runtime configuration properties.Please check that the
>>> database has been upgraded!
>>> <openjpa-2.0.1-r422266:989424 fatal user error>
>>> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: A JDBC Driver or
>>> DataSource class name must be specified in the ConnectionDriverName
>>> property.
>>>
>>> I notice that Matt Raible also came across this issue and documented it
>>> in
>>> his blog:
>>> http://raibledesigns.com/rd/entry/upgraded_to_apache_roller_5however
>>> his fix was to work around the issue by reverting to a non-JNDI
>>> datasource which I'd rather not have to do.
>>>
>>> Here is my configuration:
>>>
>>> I have followed the instructions in section 12.2 of the
>>> roller-install-guide and my roller-custom.properties now looks like this:
>>>
>>> installation.type=auto
>>> database.configurationType=jndi
>>> database.jndi.name=jdbc/rollerdb
>>>
>>> My Tomcat context XML file looks this:
>>>
>>> <Context docBase="../non-appBase-webapps/roller.war">
>>>    <Resource name="jdbc/rollerdb" auth="Container"
>>> type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>>>      driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
>>>

>>> url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/rollerdb?autoReconnect=
>>> true&amp;useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=utf-8&amp;

--
Mobile: +44 (0) 7861 394 543
Web: http://www.eddgrant.com