roller-user mailing list archives

From Matt Raible <m...@raibledesigns.com>
Subject Re: roller on JBoss
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:32:19 GMT

On Aug 27, 2012, at 5:11 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:

> I was able to successfully build the jboss war file from
> the source. It runs on JBoss 6.1.0.Final with the Mysql
> mysql-connector-java-5.1.16-bin.jar jdbc driver. Funny thing is that
> when I create a datasource, it doesn't put the user-name and password
> in the config file. I have to go open the RollerDS-ds.xml manually and
> add those attributes. Maybe that is why jboss ditched that user interface?
>
> I was able to create a blog. But, I can't upload an image to it.
> Do you have to enable something to upload an image to the blog
> entry?
>
> I think if you are going to reference the jboss war file in the
> installation guide, that you ought to put it on the download site. I am
> sure there will be +1 other interested users.
>
> I am not too entheused about the Spring and Struts dependencies. I have
> no knowledge of struts and it just doesn't seem to be the thing to
> invest time into these days. As for dependency injection, I am sure
> Spring was well suited at the time it was chosen. It just seems that
> Java EE now provides what Spring did. But, I am not that seasoned of
> a developer.

The good news is we're using Struts 2, rather than Struts 1. You may believe there's a better
web framework, but most people do. In my experience, web frameworks are like religions. As
for Spring vs. Java EE, you might want to read my blog post from a couple years ago. I believe
it's still relevant.

http://raibledesigns.com/rd/entry/re_moving_from_spring_to

> brian
>
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:10:44AM -0400, David Johnson wrote:
>> We never got *any* feedback at all on the Roller 5 release for JBoss, so we never
made the JBoss release file available and the same goes for 5.0.1. If you want, you can build
the JBoss release from the Roller source using the .sh script.