roller-user mailing list archives

From David Johnson <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JRoller replacement? (Was Re: Apache Roller 5.0.1 available & upgrade recommended for all Roller sites)
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:34:39 GMT

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 24, 2012, at 3:31 PM, Glen Mazza <gmazza@talend.com> wrote:

> I think that's Roller's biggest problem right now with its adoption, namely the lack
of a community service providing hosting for it.  Perhaps it didn't work for DZone (JRoller
hosters) because they weren't shutting down inactive blogs (maybe hundreds create a "Hello
World!" blog entry and ignore their blog forever after), bloating the administrative load,
perhaps also in not requiring a blogroll linkage back to its site.  To fix the first problem,
maybe it would be good if Roller had an "auto-delete" feature, deleting all blogs that haven't
had a new entry after an administrator-defined number of months; the second, giving the administrator
an ability to force a blogroll entry or some other advertisement on everybody's blog, pointing
back to the hoster.

> As for working at a company that offers Roller hosting, I suspect most devs try not to
keep blogs with their company if they can avoid it, because people switch from company to
company and want to take their blogs with them.  For that reason, people might be reluctant
to ask their companies to host Apache Roller even if they prefer it.  The alternative for
people in my shoes, paying for Tomcat hosting, is time-consuming and not cost-effective (having
each user individually pay for Tomcat hosting just to host one blog is overkill.)

> I've used Roller for six years and am quite pleased with it--Google Blogger holds my
hand too much and is too restrictive, but having looked at it again last week, I can see that
Blogger has much improved over the last time I looked at it (2008), so switching is probably
doable for me.