roller-user mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject Re: JRoller replacement? (Was Re: Apache Roller 5.0.1 available & upgrade recommended for all Roller sites)
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:31:13 GMT
I think that's Roller's biggest problem right now with its adoption,
namely the lack of a community service providing hosting for it.
Perhaps it didn't work for DZone (JRoller hosters) because they weren't
shutting down inactive blogs (maybe hundreds create a "Hello World!"
blog entry and ignore their blog forever after), bloating the
administrative load, perhaps also in not requiring a blogroll linkage
back to its site.  To fix the first problem, maybe it would be good if
Roller had an "auto-delete" feature, deleting all blogs that haven't had
a new entry after an administrator-defined number of months; the second,
giving the administrator an ability to force a blogroll entry or some
other advertisement on everybody's blog, pointing back to the hoster.

As for working at a company that offers Roller hosting, I suspect most
devs try not to keep blogs with their company if they can avoid it,
because people switch from company to company and want to take their
blogs with them.  For that reason, people might be reluctant to ask
their companies to host Apache Roller even if they prefer it.  The
alternative for people in my shoes, paying for Tomcat hosting, is
time-consuming and not cost-effective (having each user individually pay
for Tomcat hosting just to host one blog is overkill.)

I've used Roller for six years and am quite pleased with it--Google
Blogger holds my hand too much and is too restrictive, but having looked
at it again last week, I can see that Blogger has much improved over the
last time I looked at it (2008), so switching is probably doable for me.

Glen

--
Glen Mazza
blog: www.jroller.com/gmazza