roller-user mailing list archives

From "Chalupa, Leroy T CTR USAF AFWA AFWA /SEMS" <Leroy.Chalupa....@offutt.af.mil>
Subject RE: JRoller replacement? (Was Re: Apache Roller 5.0.1 available & upgrade recommended for all Roller sites)
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:46:29 GMT
Glen:

I agree with you that hosting a tomcat instance for one or two blogs is not
cost effective.

What would it be worth to you for me or someone else to host an instance of
roller?  It wouldn't take many
paying users to pay for a hosted site.  I want to avoid ads on the site.  On
some sites, ads are so intrusive it's difficult to find
the content on the page: less is more.

Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Mazza [mailto:gmazza@talend.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:31 PM
To: user@roller.apache.org
Subject: Re: JRoller replacement? (Was Re: Apache Roller 5.0.1 available &
upgrade recommended for all Roller sites)

I think that's Roller's biggest problem right now with its adoption, namely
the lack of a community service providing hosting for it.
Perhaps it didn't work for DZone (JRoller hosters) because they weren't
shutting down inactive blogs (maybe hundreds create a "Hello World!"
blog entry and ignore their blog forever after), bloating the administrative
load, perhaps also in not requiring a blogroll linkage back to its site.  To
fix the first problem, maybe it would be good if Roller had an "auto-delete"
feature, deleting all blogs that haven't had a new entry after an
administrator-defined number of months; the second, giving the administrator
an ability to force a blogroll entry or some other advertisement on
everybody's blog, pointing back to the hoster.

As for working at a company that offers Roller hosting, I suspect most devs
try not to keep blogs with their company if they can avoid it, because
people switch from company to company and want to take their blogs with
them.  For that reason, people might be reluctant to ask their companies to
host Apache Roller even if they prefer it.  The alternative for people in my
shoes, paying for Tomcat hosting, is time-consuming and not cost-effective
(having each user individually pay for Tomcat hosting just to host one blog
is overkill.)

I've used Roller for six years and am quite pleased with it--Google Blogger
holds my hand too much and is too restrictive, but having looked at it again
last week, I can see that Blogger has much improved over the last time I
looked at it (2008), so switching is probably doable for me.

Glen

--
Glen Mazza
blog: www.jroller.com/gmazza