roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Just Lost All My Graphics
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:05:01 GMT
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Nelson Chamberlain
<nchamberlain@ceradyne.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much!  This is a huge help and a great relief to have found my graphics
files. I actually found them in the home folder of several different users, apparently once
each time a different admin logged on the server.

> If you don't mind answering another newbie question, where can I find the uploads.dir
setting? I'd like to set it to my home folder since I expect to be the Roller admin for the
forseeable future.

When you installed Roller, you probably created a file called
roller-custom.properties and put it somewhere in your Tomcat
classpath, perhaps in the Tomcat install directory in a subdirectory
named 'lib' or 'shared/classes'

In that file you should set the 'uploads.dir. property to the
full-path of the directory where you want Roller to store file
uploads. In the uploads directory, Roller will create a subdirectory
for each blog (named with the blog handle). You should be able to
merge the various upload directories in each admin user's directory
you now have in to one.

You should also change set the search.index.dir, so that you don't
have the same problem with the Roller search index.

- Dave

15 blogs on our site and all of them suddenly have zero graphics. When I go to File Uploads
in any of the blogs, the images are gone, as well as any directories that held additional
graphics.

>> Any guesses what happened? Any easy actions, like rebuild indexes, that will bring
the graphics back? Or do I have to add the images back one by one?

> Roller 4 uses only the file-system for upload storage and does not store any information
in the database. So, if the files are gone in Roller then either 1) Roller has the wrong directory
set as the uploads directory or 2) somebody deleted the files from disk.

> If you explain more about your Roller setup maybe we can figure out what went wrong.
What app server are you using? What directory were you using to store file uploads? If you
did not set the 'uploads.dir'
> propoerty, then Roller will use the default value below:
>
>    uploads.dir=${user.home}/roller_data/uploads
>
> That means that the files are stored in the home directory of the user who runs the Roller
process. Perhaps somebody deleted that directory?