roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: yet another install problem <-- ERROR: unable to obtain database connection. Likely problem: bad connection parameters or database unavailable.
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 02:38:36 GMT
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:55 AM, pavlin <pavlin@applego.com> wrote:
> I had similar problems with the installation of Roller, but found that
> simply following the installation guide strictly makes it work. Namely you
> really have to put the JDBC, Mail and Activation (JAF) jars in a place where
> Tomcat can find them (for example as the guide  guides - in
> ${TOMCAT_HOME}/common/lib).
>
> An other problem is that you can not do this if you don't have admin rights
> on the server environment where your web server runs.
>
> So my questions are:
>  - (JUST CURIOUS) Why Roller needs to put anything (libs, properties etc.)
> outside it's WAR in order to start context?

Roller is a Java EE application, but Tomcat is not a full Java EE server.

So, if you want Roller to work you have to add a couple of things to
Tomcat: the mail, activation and JDBC driver jars. The mail and
activation jars are needed by Tomcat so it can send mail on behalf of
Roller. The JDBC driver jar is needed by Tomcat to connect to the
database on behalf of Roller.

>  - (REQUIRED!) How can we overcome that restriction?

Now that Roller allows JDBC and mail connections to be configured via
properties (in roller-custom.properties) instead of Tomcat's JNDI
system, it is possible that you could put those jars in the Roller
WAR's WEB-INF/lib directory, but I've never tried that.

- Dave