roller-user mailing list archives

From nanren888 <nanren...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: yet another install problem <-- ERROR: unable to obtain database connection. Likely problem: bad connection parameters or database unavailable.
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:04:34 GMT

Dave, Chris, many thanks.

(1) Had not seen the distinction between JNDI & whatever the other is called
at this point. Have long forgotten what little I knew of this. Seems exactly
right. Had taken then message in the log about about rollerdb to be from the
file. A default, I now assume. Should have changed it to test it.

(2) Where to put roller-custom.properties? Had put it separately, as
suggested by a comment online, when searching, specifically saying don't put
it in tomcat directories, ...
Had named it in the tomcat deploy "XML Configuration file URL: 	" & assumed
that meant it could then find it, having been handed it.

(3) Tomcat classpath? At this point, I have no clue which directories might
be included in that.

The guide says
STEP 3: Create a roller-custom.properties file in your Servlet container's
classpath, e.g. on Tomcat you'd put it in common/classes.
But, of course, there is no "common" directory & there is no "classes"
directory.

Any chance you could just nominate a good place to put it? Standard,
follow-the-guide install. (pathetic & pleadingly) could the guide just say
where to put it, rather than where to not put it?

I've put it in /lib.
If that's a bad idea, please nominate a better place.

But, again, many thanks. On to the next  error, to do with authenticating
that user on that database, so seems to be finding it now, should be easier
to sort MySQL out.