roller-user mailing list archives

From Nelson Chamberlain <nchamberl...@ceradyne.com>
Subject RE: Seeking clean, attractive Roller 4.0 theme
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:13:24 GMT
Hi Chris

I like what you say about simple & elegant. The hard part is defining what those mean.
To my mind, the theme that best fits these goals is Ocadia (from OptionalThemesForRoller referenced
below). Interestingly, it says that it was originally developed for Wordpress and ported to
Roller.

If I were to try to define what elements make it appear elegant, I would say that the muted
colors and gradient fills that give it quiet, understated beauty. I also liked the rounded
boxes on the right side. To many of the other themes seem to be shouting for my attention,
or, like you say, are busy and noisy as the front page of a newspaper.

I haven't had the pleasure of using IDEA from IntelliJ but I have only heard good things about
it. I generally have been using Eclipse and NetBeans. Eclipse for general programming and
NetBeans for Swing programming. They are quite good but utilitarian and not elegant.

So do you have a Wordpress theme that you prefer? Or a few recommendations for me to look
at to see what blogs you feel implement the simple & elegant appearance?

Nelson

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Dodunski [mailto:ChrisFromSquirrel@christopher.net.nz]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:10 PM
To: user@roller.apache.org
Subject: RE: Seeking clean, attractive Roller 4.0 theme

Hi Nelson,

Good question!  I wrote "clean and attractive" implying simplicity and elegance - the hallmark
of any good user interface.  Many webpages have clearly had a lot of effort poured into them,
but too often the end result is as busy as the front page of a newspaper.  Neither simple
nor elegant.

Incidentally, my preferred Java IDE is also based on a simple yet elegant user interface:
IntelliJ IDEA.

I've been using Roller for around a week, and think it is wonderful.  But, in my opinion,
the four bundled themes don't cut the mustard.  What can we do to help fix this situation.
 Decide on a great wordpress theme, and replicate it with a distinctive 'roller' twist perhaps?

Regards,

Chris Dodunski.