roller-user mailing list archives

From "Williams, David A." <david.willi...@USPTO.GOV>
Subject RE: require name or email from commenters
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:58:55 GMT
Dave,
	Thanks much for the quick and helpful reply (and the very nice software).  I think I'll take
the JS approach; just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something builtin before I went down
that path.
	-David

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave [mailto:snoopdave@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 7:34 AM
To: user@roller.apache.org
Subject: Re: require name or email from commenters

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Williams, David A.
<david.williams@uspto.gov> wrote:
>        Is it possible to require both a name and email address from folks posting
comments?  I didn't notice that option in the user interface or the configuration documentation.
>        Thanks for any pointers you offer,
>        -David

You can't configure Roller to require a name, so this would require a
code change, but perhaps not a Java code change; you might be able to
do this with configuration XML and theme HTML/JavaScript changes only.

I think there are several approaches you could take, here are two ideas:

* You could change the Roller security configuration in security.xml
to require that users are logged-in before they can view blogs and/or
comment. You'd have to learn about Spring Security to understand the
required changes.

* You could change the #showComment...() macros to require a user name
(using JavaScript perhaps). Or, you could write your own comment new
macro, you don't have to use the Roller macros at all. Your new macro
could put the current user's name in the User Name field and no allow
it to be edited.

- Dave