roller-user mailing list archives

From Sean Gilligan <s...@msgilligan.com>
Subject Re: iPhone CSS for Roller
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:01:45 GMT
Dave wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Matt Raible <matt@raibledesigns.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that works for the editor, which doesn't really appeal to me as
>> I don't plan on writing blog posts on my phone. That's Twitter these
>> days. ;-)
>>
>> Is it possible to add a simple stylesheet to an existing theme and
>> quickly iPhone-ify it?
>>

> I'd like to do this too. Seems like you'd need to be able to do three things:
>
> 1) detect that a request is coming from an iPhone or other small device
> 2) substitute a small-format style-sheet
> 3) change layout a bit, hide some divs and change some fonts
>
> The solution will be different for each theme, since each theme uses
> it's own layout, divs, etc.

For the nicest iPhone appearance you will need to change the layout
somewhat.  I recommend using a framework like iUI (although the example
that Matt cites doesn't appear to use an iPhone/Webkit framework it does
use jQuery.)

I'm not currently using Roller and haven't contributed to the project in
over a year, but I'd love to help you guys out because Roller is a great
project and great people.  I can't promise to monitor this list closely,
but if anyone is working on a theme or plugin that uses iUI and has
questions or needs help I'm willing to walk an extra mile for Roller.
Either post on the iPhoneWebDev Google Group or e-mail me directly.  If
you give me a login and a blog with the WIP templates, I'm even willing
to troubleshoot by editing the files directly via Roller.

iUI 0.40 (development release available) is using a simple theme
mechanism, so I'd recommend looking at that.

-- Sean