roller-user mailing list archives

From "Alfonso Romero" <i...@prodigy.net.mx>
Subject Re: Hosting Roller on vps.net
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 13:11:03 GMT
Sorry for my lack of explanation about 'plain' :)  What I meant is that on
VPS.net, for example, you need to install Linux, Tomcat and all the other
required stuff to run Roller, and other hosting solutions like shared java
hosting on kattare.com they install all the required software, and you only
need to upload Roller and deploy it.

Regards,

Alfonso

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Coles" <alex.coles@gmail.com>
To: <user@roller.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 3:04 AM
Subject: Re: Hosting Roller on vps.net

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Alfonso Romero<ibac@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
> First of all, thanks to all who answered to my Java Hosting question, I'm
> currently evaluating all options. In the meantime, I have another
> question: has anyone used VPS.net or any other cloud hosting provider to
> host roller? Have you noticed any difference between a VPS and plain Java
> hosting?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Alfonso Romero

I don't really know what you mean by "plain Java hosting" vs VPS. For
the most part, a VPS or a dedicated server shouldn't be any different
to manage on a day-to-day basis. Your consideration will primarily be
memory + process constraints that some VPS vendors implement.

I've used VPS.net for a non-Java (Ruby) project and found the service
pretty straight-forward to setup. You should have a choice of a large
number of Linux distributions (but you should be free to install your
own if you wish).

Alex

http://www.eset.com