roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: updating an entry without re-publishing
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 01:06:38 GMT
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Michael Bien<mbien@fh-landshut.de> wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> i noticed that when i modify an old entry (like fixing a url of an image)
> the date in the rss feed is updated too which republishes the entry in many
> blog aggregators (however the date of the permalink stays).
>
> it would be cool when there would be another button next to the "Post to
> Weblog" to update e.g. old entries silently.

Just a note on how things work in the RSS/Atom feeds:

When you edit an already published entry, Roller updates the entry's
update time but not the its publish time. In the RSS/Atom feeds,
entries are sorted by publish time. So, if you edit an entry that's
old enough then you won't even see any change reflected in your feeds.

I'm not sure how we'd support a silent update. Perhaps we simply leave
the update time out of the feed? That might work, except for
aggregators that do a diff or checksum on entry content to detect
updates.

- Dave