roller-user mailing list archives

From Terry Corbet <terry.cor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Build Problems Beyond My Ken
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2009 00:15:16 GMT
Thanks for following up.  When I had had no reply to that request, I
unsubscribed here and subscribed to the dev mail list -- not sure
where I needed to be.

So, just to close this out this thread for whatever value it may
provide for others:

   a.  Instead of taking my source from svn trunk, I went to the
download package that you provide.
   b.  The substantial -- more than mere refactoring -- differences
between the two sets of code, nominally only a couple of weeks apart,
lead me to believe that I was in no way prepared for whatever degree
of dynamic changes are on-going.
  c.  Maybe -- even probably -- the build problem I was reporting,
was due to cockpit errors on my part.
  d.  As reported on the dev mail list, I am able to get reliable
'rebuilds' out of the downloaded package -- after fixing the problems
concerning the activation and mail jar files.  I note that in other
email threads, you have replied that those two are problematic because
'you are not permitted to distribute them'.  Actually I think the
build problem became problematic when the decision was taken to base
builds on maven rather than just plain old simple ant.  I am sure that
those of you working in maven have no problem with activation and mail
and, in fact, both jar files are found in the tools lib that you
package for download to us.  I think a couple of minutes of testing
the use of what you provide in the source tar with plain old simple
ant would reveal the problem and then you could fix it for what I
imagine to be a very large audience of folks who have no desire to buy
off on maven, and thereby you could overcome any initial dismay that a
potential user of Roller may get from not being able to use the tools
that s/he uses with almost any other open source pacakge s/he may be
trying to use to build an application solution.

The subsequent development issues I have belong on that list, but
here, I think I should add the problem of mail that gets rejected to
this list with this notice:

 user@roller.apache.org
   SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
   host mx1.eu.apache.org [192.87.106.230]: 552 spam score (5.6)
exceeded threshold

Whatever sort of 'spam scoring' is being done, it certainly isn't
helping me engage in helpful dialogs dealing with Roller.  I am
resending this via Gmail's editor rather than Outloo Express's editor
-- which is the third time I have encountered that reject notice on
this mail list.