roller-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Corbet" <>
Subject Build Problem Beyond My Ken
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 06:26:17 GMT
I am trying to make a modification to Roller for which I could not find any simple, external
configuration variable or manipulation, so I am trying to build from the source.

Version:  Latest check out from SVN says it is REv 749871
App Server:  Tomcat 6.x
Datbase:  MySQL 5.2.x
Java Version:  1.6.x
OS:  XP Pro
Browser:  FF 3.x

ant rebuild from the apps/weblogger directory
issues a warning about 'svn' which seems correct because I am not using svn.
The comments in the build.xml imply that the failure is harmless, so I am
happy that 8 seconds later, after a slew of [openjpac] warnings about which
I understand nothing, but also seem harmless, I get this summary:
    [mkdir] Created dir: F:\Roller\apps\weblogger\build\compile\web
    [javac] Compiling 256 source files to F:\Roller\apps\weblogger\build\compile\web
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
     [copy] Copying 17 files to F:\Roller\apps\weblogger\build\compile\web
     [copy] Copied 1 empty directory to 1 empty directory under F:\Roller\apps\weblogger\b
      [jar] Building jar: F:\Roller\apps\weblogger\build\lib\roller-web.jar

Total time: 8 seconds

So, I causiously move the two ouput jar files:
over to Tomcat's Lib and restrart the server. with this log output result
Mar 3, 2009 9:50:00 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class org.apache.roller.weblogger.ui.core.RollerContext
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/springframework/security/providers/encoding/PasswordEncoder
 at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(
 at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(
 at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(
 at java.lang.Class.newInstance(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(
 at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(
 at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(
 at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(
 ... 29 more
Mar 3, 2009 9:50:00 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Skipped installing application listeners due to previous error(s)

I would appreciate directions on how to proceed.  I don't believe the problem relates
to my code change, which has to do with adding a query to see if I can get a different
result set to use with the client side's template/velocity mechanism.  I believe that I
would get the same result, if I just took the output of ant's build with the pure code checked
out from svn.  I have no understanding of spring's 'injection' into a Servlet app, and assumed
that whatever libs are needed by the build process are present in the directories as
required by that build process.  Probably I have mis-used the build process and could
use some additional instruction.

Thank you.