roller-user mailing list archives

From David Koelmeyer <d.koelme...@auckland.ac.nz>
Subject LDAP auth and Roller accounts
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:08:13 GMT
Hi All,

I've spent a while attempting to work through setting up basic LDAP authorization
following the guides:

http://blogs.sun.com/treydrake/entry/opends_roller_integration
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Roller+4.0+with+LDAP+and+CAS

Because I am very new to LDAP I thought I would have a crack at learning OpenDS
as I go, so installed 1.2.0 RC2 and followed the first section in the Sun blog above.

After a long time trying to get this to work, I've determined that I can use LDAP
for authorization only if there is a prexisting account created with the Roller admin
GUI. This is counter to what I was expecting I guess, in that I assumed an LDAP
authorised user would be let in, dynamically creating a Roller account using info
from the user's LDAP attributes in the process.

So; if I use the Roller Admin interface to create a user "davekoelmeyer", and create
the same account in LDAP (uid=davekoelmeyer,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com),
then the LDAP credentials override whatever I had set when the account was
created in Roller - works. Without an existing Roller account however, I can't log in at all.

Would someone be able to confirm if this is by design or am I missing a step
somewhere? :)

Cheers,
Dave