roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aggregated Frontpage Enhancements
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:44:25 GMT
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Emmanouil Batsis (Manos)
<manos@abiss.gr> wrote:
> The first for now. We are using roller as a publishing platform to an
> informational site and want the frontpage template to define some
> placeholders, offering the admin the ability to pin (or schedule for pin)
> specific blog posts there. We are after a traditional "news portal" front
> page. I'd be happy if the code was then considered for the trunk as well,
> perhaps as an additional build-in template.
>
> I just started reading on the vm template material but i think it only
> covers stuff for given blog. Perhaps you could give me the big picture on
> what I need to do and point me to the right direction?

I think, at a minimum you'll need:

1) a new page in the Admin UI (or somewhere else) for viewing the
paging through the most recent blogs across the whole site and then
marking the ones you will want displayed or on the front page.

2) a new manager or new methods in the existing Manager interface for
fetching entries that are marked for display on the main page.

3) some way to mark entries for display on the main page of the blog.
I guess you could use the exiting "pinned" field as the flag.

4) a new "Page Model" class (for use in templates) that will return
the most recently weblog entries that are allowed to be displayed.

- Dave