roller-user mailing list archives

From "Dick Davies" <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: RFE: don't let users choose a planet theme?
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:55:59 GMT
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Dave <snoopdave@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Dick Davies
> <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to limit what themes appear in the theme selector for a
>> users blog?
>
> Yes, that is a good feature idea.
>
> I guess we could add a field to the theme.xml format for setting theme
> type and then only show themes of type "Front Page" to admin users.

Thanks Dave; I've filed https://issues.apache.org/roller/browse/ROL-1751
to request it.

>> Currently the themes we designed for our planet show up there too, but if users
>> pick them they obviously don't work. Any workarounds?
>
> Here is a work around:
> 1) set the Front Page theme for your front page blog
> 2) choose customize on the Front Page theme (this will create your own
> copy of the theme)
> 3) remove the Front Page theme from the '/themes' directory.
>
> Your front page blog will still work because, in Roller 4.0 we made
> sure that blog themes are completely encapsulated. When you customize
> a theme, the theme files are copied to your blog's database tables and
> the themes resources (style, script and image files) are copied to
> your blog's file upload area. So, they will persist even after you
> delete the theme.

I'll see how much of a pain this is causing for the users before going
down that route but it's good to have the option. Thanks!

--
Rasputnik :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
http://number9.hellooperator.net/