roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: A few Roller questions
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 23:13:20 GMT
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Eichberger, German
<geichberger@soe.sony.com> wrote:
> We are pretty close in using Roller for some of our blogs - I was
> wondering if somebody would have answers to the questions below:
>
> 1)       Does Roller have the ability for polls (or would we be able to
> add them to Roller using another poll system we have built?)

Roller does not have built-in polling capability, but you should be
able to integrate something in via JavaScript/AJAX, page templates or
a JSP/Servlet or two.

> 2)       Is there a "search" function for Roller - per blog (or would we
> be able to build this for it?)

Roller includes the Lucene search engine and if search is enabled,
Roller will index new entries, de-index deleted indexes, etc. However,
the Lucene implementation will not scale -- if you are running more
than one Roller instance you'll have to use some other search
technology (e.g. spider the Roller site with an external search
engine).

> 3)       Are there blog specific stats for roller so we can view such as
> Trackbacks and Top Posts (most comments/most views) by date? I can give
> you the login info for Wordpress.com to see an example. Other analytics
> such as referrals, etc. we can do through Omniture SiteCatalyst.

Roller has *very* limited stats/referrer tracking.

Roller includes a crude Hit Counter and stores/displays referrers for
each blog. But, hit counters and referrer records are purged nightly.

You can get listings of hot blogs (i.e. with most hits) and the most
commented posts via the $site model. Trackbacks are counted as
comments.

Hope that helps...

- Dave