roller-user mailing list archives

From Simon Haslam <simon_has...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Oracle configuration problem
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 07:20:51 GMT

Timothy Mizas wrote:

> I'm trying to install roller 4.0 on red hat RHEL 5. Roller.log is printing
> out that everything has loaded ok. The correct username, db url, driver
> class, and of course the password is hidden. But then it says it's unable
> to connect to the database and later prints out a root cause of
>
> java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
> ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified
>
> I can connect to the database using the exact same credentials and url
> using a GUI.
>
> From Googling, I'm told to set the env var NLS_LANG to nothing. So I've
> tried doing an export NLS_LANG=  but I still get the same error. I've also
> looked at the source that does the test connection. I didn't really
> understand how it could work since it is trying to connect with a url,
> username, and pass but never specifies a driver.

I assume from your previous post that you're using Tomcat? Where is NLS_LANG
getting set - the profile of the user running Tomcat? What locale are you
in?

According to the Oracle docs, the error means:
ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified
Cause:	Either an attempt was made to issue an ALTER SESSION command with an
invalid NLS parameter or value; or the environment variable(s) NLS_LANG,
ORA_NLSxx, or ORACLE_HOME was incorrectly specified, therefore the NLS data
files cannot be located.
Action:	Check the syntax of the ALTER SESSION command and the NLS parameter,
correct the syntax and retry the statement, or specify the correct directory
path/values in the environment variables.

Are you using the thin or thick (OCI) Oracle JDBC driver? Perhaps you could
post your roller-custom.properties (minus passwords) and any Oracle-related
environment variables you set?

:Simon