roller-user mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: Roller Configuration Advise Request
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:16:35 GMT
>> Hi Gabe,
>>
>>> Are each domain a separate entity? It is not clear if the domain
>>> (blog instance) are separate because the users are different or
>>> they are
>>> separate because they are nodes in a cluster for load balancing
>>> purposes (thus appearing as one against 1 database)?
>>
>> The domains are separate businesses / product lines with a common
>> web technology that we have built over the last 6 years.
>>
>> So they are different for business reasons, not technological.
>> That is why I am not worried about blogs being accessible from the
>> other, someone will have to work to do so.
>>
>> And no I can't have all the blogs in one domain because some of
>> our partner's customers must enable javascript explicitly for a
>> domain.
> In that case would it not be simpler to have complete separate
> instances of Roller with different Databases for each business entity.
> You can do so in 2 ways.
>
> 1)Separate instances in the same JVM like so:
> http://www.biz1.com/roller1
> http://www.biz2.com/roller2
> http://www.biz3.com/roller3

That is already my first config. Here is where I had the issue with
lingering / orphaned HitCountQueueProcessor objects on JVM shutdown.
I guess I am going to go back to it. I'll sleep on shutdown and then
kill.

> 2)Separate instances in DIFFERENT JVMs installed as ROOT context
> like so:
> http://blog.biz1.com
> http://blog.biz2.com
> http://blog.biz3.com

Yes, possible except for a characteristic of our webapps where we
have a large memory cache in each JVM. We also have implemented
mutlicasting to dirty our cache between each server. It is very
effective.

Thanks.

Regards,
Dave