roller-user mailing list archives

From Simon Haslam <simon_has...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Roller 4.0 RC9 installation problem on OAS 10.1.3.3.0 (OC4J)
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:43:03 GMT
Thanks for the suggestions Gabe - good timing!

I see that Roller does quite a few JDBC new sessions per page view (~8 I think) so getting
connection pooling working is a definite requirement if you're running an Oracle database.

Without a pooled connection I'm also finding that when I reload the page after it has been
idle
for a while it doesn't refresh properly and I get this error:
WARN  2008-01-22 09:38:17,421 WebloggerRuntimeConfig:getProperty - Trouble accessing property:
site.frontpage.weblog.aggregated
<0.9.7-incubating nonfatal general error> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceException:
Listener refused the connection with the following error:
ORA-12519, TNS:no appropriate service handler found
The Connection descriptor used by the client was:
localhost:1521:mysid

When you look in the listener log you see:
22-JAN-2008 09:38:17 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=mysid)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=))) *
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=14204)) * establish * mysid * 12519
TNS-12519: TNS:no appropriate service handler found

This is the database not having enough free processes and is usually symptomatic of something
else
being wrong. In this case I'm guessing it is probably due to lots of JDBC connections left
dangling.

Anyway, there's not much point worrying about that until pooled connections are working.

Running OAS, rather than just a standalone OC4J, means that you can set up and test the connection
pool from ASC admin tool and it will set up the aplpication.xml etc when you deploy the WAR
file.
I haven't yet got a clean deployment using a pooled connection but have managed to get it
to work
by bludgeoning the config in application-deployments... it must just be a question of getting
the
deployment descriptors right.

What I'd like to do is get an Oracle deployment plan delivered alongside the Roller release
- then
admins would simply be able to edit their database credentials in that and then deploy the
war
file. A bit more work to be done though...