roller-user mailing list archives

From Simon Haslam <simon_has...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Roller 4.0 RC9 installation problem on OAS 10.1.3.3.0 (OC4J)
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:39:35 GMT

Dave Johnson-8 wrote:

> Sounds like you are experiencing multiple problems:
>
> Your database connection is not setup correctly
> Roller's Log4J is conflicting with the one in OC4J
> And you mentioned the getRealPath() problem.
>
> Any chance you can use a better supported Servlet Container (e.g. Tomcat
> or Glassfish)?
>
> - Dave

Actually no - I had already resolved first of those two problems and just
put the error messages in my post in case there were other people trying to
use OC4J. It doesn't seem to matter whether you use the pooled or "straight"
Oracle JDBC driver though I will probably ultimately use a pooled connection
from the container via JNDI anyway.

I'm increasingly convinced it's related to getRealPath(). What I don't
understand is how it can work from a war file on a J2EE compliant server as
the Sun spec says: "This method returns null if the servlet container cannot
translate the virtual path to a real path for any reason (such as when the
content is being made available from a .war archive)."

Does anyone deploy it from a war file, if so, on what app server? If so, is
admin tool exploding the war file as part of the deployment (if such a thing
happens?)?

I think Roller is expecting getRealPath to return the deployed context
directory so that it can then open files in the <context>/resources,
<context>/themes, etc. It looks as though there's a move to have these
outside the context root anyway (I guess you may want to preserve them
across releases).

I've attempted to override the uploads.dir, themes.dir and search.index.dir
in roller-custom.properties without success. However when I set debug-level
logging I don't see any:
WebloggerConfig:getProperty - Fetching property [themes.dir=...]
messages before the failure so maybe it's not attempting to read them at
that point.

I'll keep digging,

Simon
PS. as to using something else, yes I could try, but I'm quite keen to get
open source blogging software running on Oracle (and Roller looks the
best)... I might even write a magazine article on it if I ever get it
working.