roller-user mailing list archives

From Sam Neth <...@onthefly.com>
Subject Re: Velocity To Stop Caching Themes
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:41:57 GMT
I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the default templates
embedding styles in the pages, but it greatly increases the page weight,
and makes it more difficult to reuse styles from non-Roller pages, so I
link to an external style sheet (I think you could also link to a style
sheet uploaded to Roller).  One benefit of this approach is that CSS
iteration is very fast.

As for template reloading, I ran into the same problem, which I think
has to do not with velocity failing to reload templates but with Roller
failing to rebuild pages.  I ended up using an external editor and
copy/pasting into the Roller template maintenance pages to apply
changes.  Only when things were stable did I save the templates off as a
real theme.  It's not ideal, but it's better than restarting the
application.

Dehru Cromer wrote:
> Boy, I was hoping for a more iterative solution for all the UI (HTML/CSS) tweaks I need
to make...to actually get velocity to read the changes.  The default settings in velocity.properties
is to check every 2 seconds for template changes, but that doesn't seem to be happening...it
caches it at startup and never checks again.  I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into this
issue and solved it.

> Dehru

and stop Tomcat ( 6.0.14 ) in order to see theme changes in the templates. I've tried tweaking
the velocity.properties to turn caching off in the various loaders and even tried to introduce
the default FileResourceLoader, but no luck. It seems to be ignoring any changes I make.