roller-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Smalera" <asmal...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing installation
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:02:30 GMT
Glad I can perhaps contribute something here since the list has been so
valuable to me.

I have recently had Roller deployed to a high availability environment.  My
understanding (from what the datacenter folks tell me) is that the HA
configuration part of things is a load balancer in front of 2 boxes, each
with Apache, mod_jk, and Tomcat 5.0.  Behind that is an Oracle RAC DB (2
boxes also).  I'm not sure what load balancing method is being used.  So far
it seems to be running fine.

some things I've noticed are:

1 - If you're changing some core settings (like front page blog handle I
believe) you'll want to restart the web app in Tomcat on the other server
for it to pick it up
2 - I deployed Roller as a unpacked directory vs. a WAR file and pointed
both servers at a shared location, seems to be working fine no competing for
resources etc.
3 - I set the file uploads directory to also be the same folder at a shared
location which I believe will eliminate the issue of one server uploading
the file and the other one not seeing it..  so I'd suggest doing that.

We just deployed a few days ago so if I see anything else useful to relay I
will post it.

Andrew