roller-user mailing list archives

From Leon Messerschmidt <leon.messerschm...@lonelyplanet.com.au>
Subject Re: A number of questions
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:40:32 GMT

Hi Alex,

1. We ran some load tests and we could easily ramp things up to 500
threads concurrently reading blogs (JMeter).  The first bottle-neck we
got was with apache/mod_jk.  I didn't go into much tweaking after that,
because it extrapolated to enough capacity to carry us through the first
year; and the load on the app server and db was relatively low.

2. We're using Apache mod_rewrite & mod_proxy to do some magic with RSS
feeds. Perhaps this could work for you too? I've been looking at RSS
feeds on tags, but it is a relatively low priority for me. Shouldn't be
difficult to add.

3. Not as far as I know. Perhaps someone else can comment?

4. Not as far as I know. Perhaps someone else can comment?

5. The easiest way to get stats might be to use Google Analytics or
something similar. You can easily embed the javascript into theme
templates or add a servlet filter that adds it.

6. Haven't gotten around to this yet, but at some stage I'll have to do
some integration with third-party Single Sign-On tools

~ Leon

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 16:48 +0100, Protogerellis, Alexandros (UK -
London) wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to make up my mind on whether to use Roller as our blogging
> platform... I've been looking around and trying it out all day but still
> have a few questions I can't seem to find an answer for. I would really
> appreciate any help, thoughts and comments!
>
> So, here goes:
> 1) Are there any figures or records of how scalable roller is? I know
> Sun uses it for its corporate blogs, but is that a standard Roller build
> or something slightly different?
>
> 2) RSS related questions:
> - Is it possible to deliver feeds via secure RSS?
> - Is it possible to create custom feeds based on the tags of posts?
>
> 3) Is it possible to email daily summaries of posts and so on?
>
> 4) Is there a way for users to rank individual posts?
>
> 5) Is it possible to produce a report on number of posts added, site
> views, unique users, RSS feed consumption etc?
>
> 6) It seems that Active directory integration is possible, however there
> appear to be a couple of glitches on Roller 2.1 (e.g. user needs to
> restart browser). Have these been fixed in 3.1?
>
> That's it...
>
> Any help is much appreciated...
>
> Many thanks,
> Alex
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE
> If you have received this e-mail in error or wish to read our e-mail disclaimer statement
and monitoring policy, please refer to the statement below or contact the sender.
> This communication is from Deloitte & Touche LLP.  Deloitte & Touche LLP is a
limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675
and its registered office at Stonecutter Court, 1 Stonecutter Street, London EC4A 4TR, United
Kingdom.  Deloitte & Touche LLP is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority.  Deloitte & Touche LLP is the United Kingdom member firm of Deloitte Touche
Tohmatsu ('DTT'), a Swiss Verein whose member firms are separate and independent legal entities.
 Neither DTT nor any of its member firms has any liability for each other's acts or omissions.
 Services are provided by member firms or their subsidiaries and not by DTT.
> This communication and any attachments contain information which is confidential and
may also be privileged.   It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s).  If you
are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying
or use of this communication or the information in it or in any attachments is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please return it with
the title "received in error" to IT.SECURITY.UK@deloitte.co.uk then delete the email and destroy
any copies of it.
> E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information
could be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain
viruses.  We do not accept liability for any such matters or their consequences.  Anyone who
communicates with us by e-mail is taken to accept the risks in doing so. When addressed to
our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail and any attachments are subject
to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing Deloitte & Touche LLP client engagement
letter.
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this e-mail and any attachments which
do not relate to the official business of the firm are neither given nor endorsed by it.

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright.  If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone.  You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.