roller-user mailing list archives

From Leon Messerschmidt <leon.messerschm...@lonelyplanet.com.au>
Subject Re: Load Balancing installation
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:18:58 GMT

I've done quite a bit of work on this and I could add a summary of all
the load balancing information that is scattered through the mailing
list in the wiki if I could get access to it.

~  Leon

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 18:02 -0400, Andrew Smalera wrote:
> Glad I can perhaps contribute something here since the list has been so
> valuable to me.
>
> I have recently had Roller deployed to a high availability environment.  My
> understanding (from what the datacenter folks tell me) is that the HA
> configuration part of things is a load balancer in front of 2 boxes, each
> with Apache, mod_jk, and Tomcat 5.0.  Behind that is an Oracle RAC DB (2
> boxes also).  I'm not sure what load balancing method is being used.  So far
> it seems to be running fine.
>
> some things I've noticed are:
>
> 1 - If you're changing some core settings (like front page blog handle I
> believe) you'll want to restart the web app in Tomcat on the other server
> for it to pick it up
> 2 - I deployed Roller as a unpacked directory vs. a WAR file and pointed
> both servers at a shared location, seems to be working fine no competing for
> resources etc.
> 3 - I set the file uploads directory to also be the same folder at a shared
> location which I believe will eliminate the issue of one server uploading
> the file and the other one not seeing it..  so I'd suggest doing that.
>
> We just deployed a few days ago so if I see anything else useful to relay I
> will post it.
>
> Andrew

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright.  If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone.  You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.