roller-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Stevens <at...@hotmail.com>
Subject Struggling to get Roller 3.1 running on Websphere 6.0
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:17:53 GMT

Can anyone help me get Roller 3.1 running on Websphere 6.0?I downloaded the binary release
zip and the extra required jars from java.net, and unzipped them.  I created the database,
ran the script to create the tables and configured the datasource to be mapped to the jdbc/rollerdb
resource ref.  I created an appropriate custom-roller.properties file in /WEB-INF/classes
(specifying log file paths) and re-packaged the web app as a .war file, which I've deployed
into Websphere 6.0.  However, when I start the server/app I get a bunch of exceptions in the
log:[12/07/07 14:52:26:545 BST] 0000000a HibernateRoll E org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl
<init> Error initializing Hibernate                                 java.lang.VerifyError:
(class: org/apache/roller/business/hibernate/HibernatePersistenceStrategy, method: <init>
signature: (Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V) Incompatible argument to method    at
org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl.<init>(HibernateRollerImpl.java:83)
   at org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl.instantiate(HibernateRollerImpl.java:101)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:85)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:58)    at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)    at
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:391)    at org.apache.roller.business.RollerFactory.getRoller(RollerFactory.java:66)
   at org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext.contextInitialized(RollerContext.java:170)
  at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.notifyServletContextCreated(WebApp.java:1434)...[12/07/07
14:52:26:560 BST] 0000000a RollerFactory E org.apache.roller.business.RollerFactory getRoller
Error instantiating org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl
                   java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:85)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:58)    at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)    at
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:391)    at org.apache.roller.business.RollerFactory.getRoller(RollerFactory.java:66)
   at org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext.contextInitialized(RollerContext.java:170)
  at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.notifyServletContextCreated(WebApp.java:1434)...Caused
by: org.apache.roller.RollerException    at org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl.<init>(HibernateRollerImpl.java:90)
   at org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl.instantiate(HibernateRollerImpl.java:101)
   ... 41 more[12/07/07 14:52:26:623 BST] 0000000a RollerFactory E org.apache.roller.business.RollerFactory
getRoller Failed to instantiate fallback roller impl                                 java.lang.Exception:
Doh! Couldn't instantiate a roller class    at org.apache.roller.business.RollerFactory.getRoller(RollerFactory.java:89)
   at org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext.contextInitialized(RollerContext.java:170)
  at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.notifyServletContextCreated(WebApp.java:1434)So
I tried stepping through line by line in RAD7's debugger - sure enough, in the HibernateRollerImpl
constructor it catches the Throwablejava.lang.VerifyError: arguments are not type compatible
(class: org/apache/roller/business/hibernate/HibernatePersistenceStrategy method: <init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V)
at pc: 223However, watch expressions for the RollerConfig.getProperty values certainly look
to be returning strings to me (and at least it confirmed the roller-custom properties file
was being used).  So two Strings aren't type compatible with two Strings... Huh?  No wonder
the comment in the source says "// if this happens then we are screwed" :-(Next I tried changing
the classloader behaviour to "parent last" rather than the default "parent first", in case
it's picking up the wrong version of something from the JRE.  But that just produced a different
set of errors:[11/07/07 19:23:34:448 BST] 000000b9 RollerContext E org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext
contextInitialized RollerContext initialization failed                                 java.lang.ClassCastException:
com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.jdbc.WSJdbcDataSource    at org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext.upgradeDatabaseIfNeeded(RollerContext.java:374)
   at org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext.contextInitialized(RollerContext.java:168)
  at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.notifyServletContextCreated(WebApp.java:1434)
  at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.initialize(WebApp.java:411)...[11/07/07 19:23:34:526
BST] 000000b9 ServletWrappe E   SRVE0100E: Did not realize  init() exception thrown by servlet
action: java.lang.LinkageError: Class org/xml/sax/SAXParseException violates loader constraints:
 definition mismatch between parent and child loaders    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initServlet(ActionServlet.java:1079)
   at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:324)    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:256)
   at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java:310)I'm guessing
the LinkageError on SAXParseException is due to the org.xml.sax.* class files being found
both in WEB-INF/lib/xmlrpc-1.2-b1.jar and also in Websphere's $JRE/lib/xml.jar ?  Given they're
standard JAXP interfaces and have been included in the JDK since 1.4, should they really be
in the xmlrpc jar anyway?  I also noticed the xalan jar bundled with Roller is version 2.7.0
(according to org.apache.xalan.Version), while the one included in Websphere's xml.jar (which
I believe is the one it would use for "Parent First" classloading mode) is "XSLT4J Java 2.6.9".
 Assuming that's just their own build of xalan 2.6.9, is there anything specific to 2.7.0
that Roller requires, or should it be okay with the earlier version?I had hoped it wouldn't
be too hard to get this working, as they said in Covalent's recent Roller webcast that "IBM
use Roller for their developerWorks blogs, and they run it on Websphere".  However, although
the HTTP response headers suggest they're also using Websphere 6.0 ("Server: IBM_HTTP_Server/6.0.2.13
Apache/2.0.47 (Unix)"), I notice the roller.js script (http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/theme/scripts/roller.js)
doesn't include the isblank function near the end; looking through the different tags in Subversion,
that suggests they may only be running Roller 2.0.2 or earlier, as that's the latest version
of that file which didn't contain that function.  I'd prefer to use the current version than
one that's nearly a year and a half old.  Does anybody have any suggestions how I can get
3.1 working?  Has anyone successfully got it installed into Websphere 6?Andrew.-- http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/
 Open source java Sudoku application