roller-user mailing list archives

From Henrik Martin <hen...@netgate.net>
Subject Re: Email notifications don't seem to work
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:18:04 GMT
On Tuesday 31 July 2007 09:44, Henrik Martin wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 07:06, Dave wrote:
>
> > On 7/29/07, Henrik Martin <henrik@netgate.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi. I've set up Roller as the blog server for my band's web site. I
> > > followed the installation documentation for how to get Roller up and
> > > running in Tomcat 5.5.X and things seem to be working for the most
> > > part. I've created a couple of blogs, and registered a couple of
> > > users. I've set the administrative user's email address and configured
> > > the blogs to allow comments. I can add comments, and they show up as
> > > pending moderation in the UI.  However, I never get an email sent to
> > > my administrative email address.  I don't see any exceptions in the
> > > log files, nor do I see any failed attempts to send an email.
> > >
> > > The mail server is running on the same machine, and I'm able to telnet
> > > to port 25 without problems. I'm also running other applications in
> > > the same JVM that Tomcat runs on that are successfully sending emails
> > > using the JavaMail API using the same mail server. The mail server log
> > > file reveals no connections from localhost. My administrative email
> > > address works fine, because I can send email to it both from the
> > > server itself and from the outside.
> > >
> > > Here's a summary of my environment:
> > >
> > > OS: OpenSuSE Linux 10.2
> > > Mail server: Postfix 2.3
> > > Web server: Tomcat 5.5.12 (I know, I ought to upgrade)
> > > JDK: 1.5.0_11-b03
> > > Roller: 3.0 incubating
> > >
> > > I've set the debugging flag on the blog admin page, but haven't really
> > > seen anything related to email notifications. Any tips are highly
> > > appreciated. Thanks,
> >
> > Things to check:
> > 1 - Uncommented the mail/Session setting in your context config file
> > 2 - Enabled weblog comments at site level (i.e. Server Admin page)
> > 3 - Enabled weblog comments at blog level (i.e. Weblog Settings page)
> >
> > Sounds like you might have missed  #1?
> >
> > - Dave
>
> Hi and thanks for the response. Sorry I didn't mention the
> mail/session setting in my posting. It is enabled. I did enable 2, and
> 3 above as well. I'm stumped. Any other tips? Thanks,
>
> /Henrik

Hmm. I think things are configured properly. I set the flag to email
comments on a blog entry, and I got an email with the new comment.
However, the moderator is still not getting any email, and there is no
sign whatsoever of JavaMail being invoked for the moderator's email
address in the log files, neither roller's nor my mail server's. Very
odd. And I know the email address for the moderator is working. I can
send email to that address both from localhost and externally.

The site wide property "Site Administrator's email address" is set to
the same email address as the web log administrator/moderator. I've
enabled "Allow weblog comments" and checked "Require comment
moderation for all weblogs". I'm just not getting emails to the site
admin's email address. I've enabled debug output in the server
settings and in my roller.xml context file i have:

debug="1" for the <Context> tag.

Any further help is much appreciated. Thanks,

/Henrik