roller-user mailing list archives

From Dave <snoopd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roller API access?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:07:18 GMT
On 6/20/07, Karthik Abram <karthik@k2d2.org> wrote:
> How easy or difficult is it to use Roller as the provider of a blog feature
> for a website and get custom access so that one can extract and display:
>
> 1) Entries from various blogs

You can get entries for your blogs via the MetaWeblog API and the Atom protocol.

> 2) Comments

You'll have to call Roller's Java classes to get comments, we don't
expose them via MetaWeblog or Atom protocol (yet).

> 3) Automatically add users to blogs
> 4) Automatically create blogs for users

There is a Roller Admin Protocol, which is based on ideas from Atom
protocol and which allows you to create and edit users, blogs and
user-blog memberships.

> Does roller expose an API or is it a matter of observing the internal
> code/database and writing against it?

As you can see, it's a mixture. We don't provide web services
API/protocol access to all of Roller, so you'll have to resort to Java
for some of the things you want to do.

What parts of Roller are you interested in using? Sounds like you want
to bypass both the Editor/Admin UI and the rendering system. You' re
really not going to be leveraging much of Roller with that approach.

- Dave